NOREEN Y. WHYSEL
New York, NY
Over 20 years of experience as a digital innovator, specializing in designing usable information spaces and digital archives, user experience research, and managing communications policy, training and outreach.
Co-Founder/COO, Decision Fish, New York, NY 2015 – Present
- Operations lead for startup financial decision-making app. Village Capital Finance 2016 Semifinalist.
Information Architect, Noreen Y. Whysel, New York, NY 2002 – Present
- Provide information architecture, user research, website redesign, usability strategy, social media, GIS/mapping, and partner development services to a portfolio of well-known, global clients.
- Developed plan for establishing end user usability and accessibility requirements for a digital identity standard assessment (IDEF Registry) to fulfill the National Strategy for Trusted Identity in Cyberspace (NSTIC), a White House initiative. Developed testing procedures and performed alpha user tests.
- Advised on planning and execution of startup innovation workshops, lecture series, hackathons and industry mentoring events hosted with the New York Public Library, NYU Poly, Columbia University, Brooklyn SBDC, Booz Allen Hamilton, the United Nations and the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.
- Developed and facilitated trainings on user research, information architecture, taxonomies, geographic information systems and mentoring.
Clients: PwC, Cushman & Wakefield, American Museum of Natural History, Municipal Art Society, Architecture_MPS, Brooklyn SBDC, Identity Ecosystem Steering Group, OWASP, Information Architecture Institute, Medicine Show Theatre Ensemble, Alaric Compliance Services, The Appraisal Institute, The Counselors of Real Estate, Urban Land Institute, and others.
Community Manager, OWASP Foundation, New York, NY 2014 – 2016
- Managed wiki resources, funding requests and activities for global community with a $500,000 annual budget.
- Led activities of an application security community with 270 worldwide chapters. Increased global reach by 30 chapters, orienting 57 new chapter leaders.
Operations Manager, Information Architecture Institute, New York, NY 2005 – 2014
- Developed policy, procedures and strategy documents for information management, outreach, vendor and partnership agreements and events.
- Managed global operations projects for an international digital design association, including website administration, program development, online job board and resource library, event planning and mentoring program.
Operations Manager, Global Website Team, PwC, New York, NY 1998 – 2002
- Managed global website operations projects for over 60 country and 25 client service websites, including design, content inventory, webmail, lead analysis, and search optimization/meta-tagging. Improved lead tracking by 100%. Identified over $300 million in revenue generated in the first year of web lead tracking.
Research Associate, Price Waterhouse, New York, NY 1991 – 1997
- Developed market research practice for a global real estate advisory group. Introduced technologies including digital reporting, geographic information systems, satellite imagery, digital photography, and intranet services.
Pratt Institute, Master of Science in Library and Information Science, New York, NY
Beta Phi Mu Honor Society, Pratt Circle Award, GPA 4.0
Columbia College, Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, New York, NY
ASSOCIATIONS AND LEADERSHIP POSITIONS
American Theatre Archive Project, Co-Chair, New York City Chapter 2014 – 2016
Brooklyn Small Business Development Center, Technology Transfer Days, Advisor 2014 – 2016
Identity Ecosystem Working Group, Vice Chair, UX Committee, Usability and Human Factors 2013 – 2016
New York State GIS Association, Member, GeoSummit Planning Committee 2013 – 2016
Association for Information Science and Technology, Member, IA Summit Volunteer 2013 – 2016
New York Hemophilia Chapter, Walkathon Technology Leader, New York, NY 2011 – 2016
Columbia College Women, Member, Mentoring Chair (2002-2010), Executive Board (2008-2010) 2002 – 2016
GISMO, Member, Board of Directors (2013-2016) 1992 – 2016
Open Camps, United Nations Unite for Humanity Hackathon, Advisor 2016
Queens Museum of Art, Map Mosaic Curator 2016
W3C, Information Architecture Community Group Chair, Web Redesign Task Force 2011 – 2013
NYC Technology Forum, NYC GeoSymposium 2001-2011-2021, Planning Committee 2011
Virtuous Reality Interactive, Inc., Board of Directors 1997 – 2000
Architecture_MPS, New York, NY, Research and Digital Repository Intern
Columbia University, New York, NY, Digital Repository and Data Management Intern
Columbia University, New York, NY, Visual Science Researcher
Columbia University, New York, NY, Bibliographic Researcher
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
COMPETENCIES: Research, writing, digital innovation, information architecture, policy and procedures management, online community development and coordination, group facilitation, user experience design, design heuristics, competitive review, digital archives, digital asset management, digital repositories, SEO, linked open data, web accessibility, geographic information systems, metrics reporting, database development, information management, outreach and partnerships, program development, internationalization, event management, training, mentoring, and volunteer management.